This is a summary of an article written by Pat Gibbons and Dina Balatti of Bella Celebrations, which was first written for By Recommendation Only and has since been referenced in numerous wedding planning publications as a thorough resource for couples wishing to have an environmentally sound wedding.
While there are many aspects to planning an organic wedding, there is one common theme: Reduce - Re-use - Recycle.
Local growers are great sources for these plant materials. Purchasing from them supports our local agricultural ventures.
Some Helpful Tips View
- Some churches have multiple services during the day, and brides can coordinate colors, or pick a neutral color, and share the flowers for the ceremonies.
- Flower arrangements can be designed to be brought to the reception site and used on the buffet tables or to decorate an appropriate place. Pat has also designed centerpieces for guest tables that can be used both as decoration and given to guests for favors at the end of the evening.
- After the reception the flowers can be donated to hospitals, hospices, and nursing homes.
- Support local designers who will work with you to make suggestions on what natural materials one can use. Silk is a popular choice and eco-sustainable fabrics are now being offered.
- Wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses can be purchased or sold on eBay.
- A keepsake of the wedding gown can be made by using the fabric for a quilt, wall hanging or even a christening outfit.
- Consider wearing or redesigning your mother's or grandmother's dress - I have seen one dress pass through four generations!
- Historic buildings and parks - many times these are owned and maintained by non-profit organizations.
- Museums, art galleries or other facilities belonging to non-profit organizations.
- A botanical garden or public park is a lovely choice for an outdoor wedding. Eco-friendly resorts are also becoming increasingly popular.
Wedding Consultants View
Wedding Rings and Jewelry View
Vintage jewelry also can be used, with stones re-set into beautiful tiaras, earrings, and other custom pieces.